Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Zakk Wylde Book of Shadows (1996) Genre: Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Heavy Metal



Zakk Wylde
Book of Shadows (1996)
Genre: Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Heavy Metal

As I have written in other reviews,that very few bands come here to Cordoba, Argentina, so when I found out that Zakk Wylde was coming to town to play a live show, I flipped out, a dude of his caliber coming to play here, holy shit. I told my brother in law, Sacha that I’m converting slowly into a metal head that we had to go see this guy; and my mother in law actualy bought us the tickets. I was ready to take Sacha to a mind blowing super heavy Black Label Society show, then I found out he was going to play this particular album from front to back, and I thought to myself Ok its less heavy, more acoustic, but the album still rocks, but to my total surprise when we went to the show and the curtains opened there was no drum set just two chairs Zakk and another dude with acoustic guitars, and I thought to myself, my brother in law will hate me, to my surprise the show was great anyways, Zakk is a fantastic show man with a very strong stage presence just knocking our sock off with his solos, but still my brother in law hasn’t been able to see a good heavy metal band action yet.  


Vocals and Lyrics: Zakk does a good vocal job on this album, giving it a good Southern Rock feel. 9

Instrumentation:
Guitar/Piano: Zakk is a Guitar god nuff said.
Bass: James LoMenzo (White Lion, Megadeth, Black Label Society…) does a pretty good job on the bass; he lands a couple of nice arrangements here and there.
Drums: Joe Vitale drums are pretty uninteresting; he’s the weakest thing on the album. 7.8

Melody and/or Structure: Zakk stretches his legs on this album showing off that on a composition level he’s not just a one trick heavy metal pony, his use of melody on this album is excellent. 10

Sound, Production and Feeling: This album has some nice string arrangements and it’s well recorded, but nothing to mind blowing in this category. 8.5

Songs: The whole album is great. 11

Originality: I like this album more than most of the stuff that he has done with Black Label Soceity, in general it has much more personality and Zakk show off what a well rounded musician he is. 10  
Overall:  56.3

No comments:

Post a Comment