Friday, April 10, 2015

Queens of the Stone Age, Review of Songs for the Deaf Genre: Stoner, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock/Metal



Queens of the Stone Age
Songs for the Deaf (2001)
Genre: Stones Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock/Metal

Man this album blew me away the first time I heard it, and it pretty much blows me away each time a listen to it now. I had to go to work to Paso de los Libres for a month this year, it’s a very isolated city here in Argentina near Brazil and Uruguay, which has no rock music, what so ever, and much less a live music scene, so I had this album and Slipknots Chapter 5 running 24/7 on my tablet, this help me rediscover the brilliance of this production.

Vocals and Lyrics: Josh’s trademark is vocals are fantastic as usual and the guest appearance of Mark Lanegan on a couple really helps the albums dark and somber moodiness. 10

Instrumentation:
Guitar: The guitars on this album are great Josh’s riffs, licks and solos serve perfectly each song, and as a nice plus Dean Ween plays on a couple tracks.
Bass: Nick Oliveri’s simple but lumbering bass playing was the basic model for me to copy when I had my own stoner metal band.
Drums: Dave Grohl should scrap the Foo’s and start drumming full time for these guys.  7.8

Melody and/or Structure: The equilibrium between these two aspects is what sets this band from the rest Josh use of melody is enviable, and the guy can pack some really interesting riffs in each song.  10

Sound, Production and Feeling: This is the first album that I have encountered the stoner sound, and it fascinates me, the dark, low end sounding production. Josh manages perfectly the dark and sexy mood of the album not letting you have everything at once, and there are a ton of production treats in this album. 10

Songs: Every song on this album is a classic. You can divided the songs in two groups: the Rocker and the experimental stuff, it’s all good.  14

The Bad: Nothing. 

Originality: This album probably is a defining record for Stoner Metal, a album that tons of bands use for reference and it was a break though album for these guys they gain relatively mainstream status.  10

Overall: 61.8

No comments:

Post a Comment