Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tool Aenima (1996) Genre: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal, a tad of Industrial Metal.



Tool
Aenima (1996)
Genre: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal, a tad of Industrial Metal.

Here comes my Brief review of this magnificent album but before I start I’d like to tell you guys my personal story with this album. For some reason I had a real hard time getting man hands on this album when I was a teen, none of my friends had it ether. There was a music channel before MTV aired here in Cordoba Argentina which maybe had 40 videos tops on rotation 24/7. Two of those video were Stinkfist and Aenima, they where mindblowing. I became obsessed in getting this elusive album thanks to those videos.  
Years later in 2003 I finally got this album, and the first time I got to hear it completely was on a road trip that I took with my dad ( It one of my favorite memories that I have with my father) that we went from North Caroline to Washing DC, it’s a long trip . This trip was weird and transcendent musically for me, I only had this album and Songs in the Key of Life; by Stevie Wonder that I found in a used Discman (does anyone remember those things) I got in a pawn shop. I can tell you those two albums make really odd mix especial if you here them over and over and over again, but this really opened my mind musically, it made me a complete musical omnivore.
Vocal and Lyric: Maynard James Keenan, shows some immense progress as a singer in this album, especial the melodies that he works on this album. His lyrics as always are very interesting. 9
Instrumentation:
Guitar: Jones does a superb job in doing what is needed to push these songs from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
Bass: The bass lines in Aenima are really good, as bass player myself I remember having a blast leaning how to play them.
Drums: They are just sublime; few drum players can compose and add to songs like Danny Carry. He does some really complicated stuff without overloading the song or becoming to dominant. 7.3
Melodies and Structure: There is great progress in these two fronts. There is a great balance in the composition, the songs don’t alienate becoming too technical or heavy and are accessible without compromising art.10
Sound, Production and Feeling: The band uses wisely silences and creates sonic backgrounds that add to the mood of the album. 9
Song: A Tool albums and the songs that from it have the movie equivalents of watching any Lord of the Rings films, they are epic. 15 
The Bad: Nothing
Originality: They really pushed themselves in making a milestone album. 10
Overall: 60.3
  
   


No comments:

Post a Comment